A refreshing salad recipe inspired by classic chicken fajitas, but grilled for added flavor. Make this easy week night meal using this spicy Tajin inspired chili lime chicken marinade the whole family will love.
Bon Appeteach is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. I only share products that I use and stand behind personally, have used, and would buy myself. Thanks for the support!
Easy weeknight buddha bowl meals or salad bowl meals are so nice to have on hand. Whether you’re into meal prepping, want to eat a balanced healthy diet, or just want to switch up your meal rotation, add this recipe to the list!
Inspired by classic chicken fajitas and this delicious homemade Tajin seasoning recipe, I brought together some epic flavor combos to create the perfect dinner salad that’s not only filling but really satisfying.
Get all the grilling tips, techniques, and more about this chicken recipe by reading through the post below. I’ll cover all the ingredients, the marinating process, cooking and grilling options, and building your salad bowls! Full recipe below, let’s dive in!
Let’s breakdown all you need to know for mastering this recipe any day of the week.
- Diced Chicken – I used chicken breast meat for this recipe, but chicken thighs always make a great kebob and works really well on the grill. Dice into 1 inch pieces and set them aside.
- Olive Oil – I like to use this as an oil base for marinades because it tastes better. You could also use avocado oil if you prefer for a higher smoke point.
- Lime Juice – This is a great base for the marinade and helps also tenderize the chicken while adding lime flavor. I also like to add some to the dressing I mix up as well.
- Lime Zest – If you want to amp up the chili lime flavor combo, save some of the zest from the lime for the marinade as well.
- Homemade Tajin Seasoning – The chili lime seasoning is what ties this recipe together. Check out my recipe I’ve linked or use store bought Tajin as a substitute.
- Fajita Vegetable Mix – You can get creative with your pepper and onion combo and cook what you like. I enjoy green, yellow, and red bell peppers. Sometimes, I’ll add some jalapeno and either red or white onion pieces too.
- Green Leaf Lettuce – My favorite salad base, but romaine is a great substitute! Use what you like.
- Additional Fajita Toppings – If you like sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo, or hot sauce, have those on hand to add to your salad bowl.
Chili Lime Chicken Marinade:
Marinating the chicken pieces is 100% a game changer for this recipe. I know it’s tempting to skip this step, but it imparts soo much delicious flavor and tenderizes your chicken too.
In a large bowl, I simply add the diced chicken pieces, the homemade Tajin dry rub, olive oil, and plenty of lime juice. Mix everything together and cover the chicken and place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Make this the night before or earlier in the morning (takes about 10 minutes max) and then you can cook it when you’re ready!
Chili Lime Chicken Kebobs:
Because of cross contamination and the fact that the vegetables will cook faster than the chicken, I suggest keeping them on separate skewers for the best results when grilling.
Slice your peppers and onions into similar size pieces as your chicken. On a small baking sheet, cover them in some of the same chili seasoning, some olive oil, and lime juice and toss it all together. I do this right before I grill them.
Skewer all your veggies (they can be mixed together) onto skewers and set them aside. Do the same with all your chicken pieces as well. Keep them separate for best results.
Grilling Tips/ Techniques:
While you can sauté or even bake these kebobs, I am telling you right now to grill them. The flavor was insane and really makes eating a taco salad feel like a whole other experience.
Preheat your grill to a medium heat of 400-450 F. Then set your grill for two zone cooking (half direct heat with a flame, half the grill “cool” with no flame).
Toggling between these two zones allows you to cook your chicken through safely first at a medium high heat without burning the outside of your food before it’s done. Place both your veggie skewers and your chicken over the indirect heat side and close your lid to your grill.
Let them cook for about 5-6 minutes and then flip them when they easily come up off the grill grates. Repeat this step again and then finish both the veggies and chicken off over the direct flame to get some color, a little char, and to get to the final internal temperature of 165 F. on your chicken.
How To Build Your Fajita Salad:
You can really do this however you desire, but here is what I did-
In a large bowl I placed all my chopped green leaf lettuce. Smaller, bite size pieces are my preferred way to eat so it’s easier. Add a portion of your chicken and a portion of your veggies (one skewer each approximately per serving).
Sprinkle a little more of the Tajin over the chicken if desired. Add in some sliced avocado or guacamole, salsa, or sour cream. I made a quick sour cream based dressing with lime juice, the chili lime seasoning, a little olive oil and some garlic powder too. Drizzle over the top and dig in!
Serve with your favorite tortillas or try my Keto corn style tortilla recipe for a lower carb option.
Meal Prep and Storage Tips:
This is a great recipe for meal prep. You can prep or pre-cook just your chicken and veggies earlier in the week. Then just prepare your salad the day of as needed or even make a fajita chicken taco or burrito bowl with the best cauliflower rice recipe for a healthier alternative.
Store the extra chicken and veggies in a container from the lettuce to prevent it from getting soggy. Keep any other toppings separate as well or if pre-assembling into containers, add anything with liquid (sour cream, salsa, etc.) to the bottom of the container as to not make the lettuce over saturated.
Grab the full recipe below and try out these other popular dinner salad recipes to your meal plan:
- 1 lb. Chicken, diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Green Pepper
- 1 Yellow Pepper
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. Homemade Tajin Seasoning
- 2 Limes with juice/ zest
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil, divided
- 1 Bunch, Green Leaf Lettuce
- Optional Toppings: Sour Cream, shredded cheese, avocado or guacamole, salsa, hot sauce.
- In a bowl, add your diced chicken, juice and zest of 1 lime, and 1 tbsp. of your homemade (or store bought) Tajin seasoning. Add in about 1/4 cup of olive oil and mix it all together.
- Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours or use within 24 hours.
- Prep your peppers and red onion. by removing the core, dice into bite size pieces that will still fit on your skewers.
- Place them on a baking sheet or in a bowl and drizzle the remaining olive oil over them, add 2 tsp. of the chili lime Tajin seasoning, and juice of the remaining lime. Stir it all together.
- Thread your chicken on to skewers and set them aside. Thread all the veggies onto separate skewers and keep away from the chicken to limit cross-contamination.
- Preheat your grill to medium heat (400-450 F.) and set it for two zone cooking (see post notes above).
- Grill both your chicken and veggie skewers over indirect heat to start. About 5-6 minutes with the lid closed. Flip when the chicken easily comes off the grates and repeat.
- Move the veggies and chicken to the direct side of your grill and flip often with the lid up to finish the cooking process and get some nice color/ char. Chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 F. Veggies should be tender but not mushy.
- Remove the cooked fajita kebobs and let them rest while your prep the rest of your salad ingredients.
- Layer your lettuce in a bowl, add the meat, the veggies, and any optional toppings. Pour over your favorite dressing or sour cream and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 411Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 449mgCarbohydrates: 10gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 21g