“One of my favorite snacks is guacamole! Learn the secrets to my favorite recipe for what I think is the best guacamole out there.”
The Secrets to the Best Guacamole :
Guess what? I have the secrets to the best guacamole recipe.
No really, I do.
You see, guacamole is one of my all time favorite snacks. It’s just way too addictive and typically doesn’t last more than a few hours in my house (I’m a guac gluten and I don’t care who knows it)!
Therefore in my opinion, I’m clearly the expert on the best way to make guacamole.
Part of my journey for treating my Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) naturally through diet and exercise has changed the way I enjoy this deliciously healthy snack.
Though corn chips are gluten free, they are still typically very processed, cooked in soy based oils, and can still spike my insulin levels. I’ve learned to enjoy guac by scooping it with my favorite sweet bell peppers, carrots, or if I am being completely honest….I’m not ashamed to eat it with a spoon!
Everyone has their favorite way to prepare guacamole. I like mine with a little spice, a nice sprinkle of sea salt, lots of onion, garlic, cilantro, and always fresh lime juice.
But you came here to get the TEA, for me to spill my culinary arts teacher secrets on making the best guacamole.
So, here they are.
The trick to the best guacamole recipe is to first learn how to pick the perfect avocado! Here are a few tips that you can use to help you find the right avocado that’s in the perfect sweet spot for making homemade guac:
- Look at the color of the skin. It should not be a dark green but closer to a black color. If its really dark, chances are it’s over ripe so find something that’s in between.
- Feel it! Gently squeeze the avocado. If it’s hard as a rock or literally squishing between your fingers then it’s no good! Find one that’s slightly tender and will give a little.
- Pick off the stem and look a little crazy at the grocery store! By removing the little stem on the outside, you can get a little sneak peak on what it looks like on the inside. If you see a yellow green color its under-ripe, if it’s brown it’s over-ripe, look for the nice pretty green for just ripe!
Once you learn how to pick the perfect avocado, you need to add the secret ingredient that really makes my guacamole the best.
That ingredient is cumin.
What I love about this spice is that it adds a nice smokiness and kicks up the spice a bit and rounds out all the flavors.
Additionally, I like some heat (but not too much). I like some minced jalapeno, some red onion, and of course cilantro.
If you’re one of those weird humans whose DNA hates cilantro, well then… we can’t be friends.
Add a generous amount of sea salt and a whole lot of fresh lime juice too. Mix it well with the mortar and pestle, or get real cool and use a potato masher.
What? It works.
Serve it up with Keto Tortilla Chips or the Low Carb Jicama Chips. I also love serving it with sliced veggies like peppers, carrots, and celery too. Pair it with my favorite low carb blackberry jalapeno margarita or this insanely delicious mezcal mule!
The Secrets to the Best Guacamole
One of my favorite snacks is guacamole! Learn the secrets to my favorite recipe for what I think is the best guacamole out there.
- 2-3 Ripe Avocados
- 1 Jalapeno minced and seeded (optional)
- 1/2 Red Onion Diced small
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cilantro
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1-2 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1. Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, and scoop out the meat into a bowl. Save the pits to return to the guacamole after it is made to help prevent oxidization.
- 2. Chop the onion, jalapeno, garlic, and cilantro. Add to the bowl of avocados.
- 3. Add the seasonings and lime juice. Use a mortar and pestle or potato masher to blender all the ingredients together.
- 4. To store, place the pits back into the container with your guacamole. You can also put a piece of plastic wrap flush against the top of the guacamole to also help prevent browning.