- August 16, 2019
- "Book" Club
Strawberry Lemonade Keto Whiskey Smash
A bright and refreshing, keto whiskey drink made with fresh muddled strawberries and a slight twang of tasty lemon juice for only a handful of net carbs.
I made this recipe as a part of my cocktail blog series – The Bon Appeteach “Book Club”. This recipe was originally called “Little Whiskey” and was inspired by the book, Little Women. Check out more book inspired cocktails on the “Book Club” tab (we never actually read the books, I just make cocktails named after them).
This recipe is one of my most popular mixed drinks here at Bon Appeteach, and for good reason. The classic flavor combination makes this strawberry lemonade cocktail a fan favorite, easy to reproduce in bulk, and to enjoy whether you follow a keto diet or not!
If you are worried about the carbs from the sugar, don’t stress. I have the perfect recipe for Homemade Keto Simple Syrup, making this cocktail a sugar free keto friendly way for you to get your drink on. Get all the recipe details and helpful information below or jump to the recipe at the bottom of the page.
- Cocktail Shaker
- Muddler (or bottom of a wooden spoon)
- Rocks Glass
Here is some helpful information to guide you through making this strawberry whiskey low carb cocktail, possible substitutions, and how to count net carbs when drinking alcohol on a low carb keto friendly diet. Let’s dive in!
What is a whiskey smash?
A classic whiskey smash usually consists of whiskey, mint, lemon, and simple syrup. I wanted to incorporate some fun flavors for summer and add some fresh strawberries and lemon, because both are naturally lower carb and pair well with bourbon.
If you’re not into whiskey, make a vodka strawberry lemonade instead and swap out the bourbon for vodka, rum, or even tequila too.
How many carbs are in bourbon?
There are zero net carbs in bourbon and whiskey (and any other base spirit). That doesn’t mean drinking this summer cocktail can’t still throw you out of ketosis if you’re not careful.
So how do you know the best way to navigate drinking on a keto? Check out my in-depth guide for how to drink alcohol on a low carb keto diet and feel confident enjoying your next drink responsibly!
Can I make this with other sweeteners?
I use my keto simple syrup recipe (made with allulose sweetener). If you’re not keto you can make a standard simple syrup using regular sugar and water too. Besides sugar you can make it with honey, brown sugar, or sugar in the raw. Use what you like and what works for your diet or lifestyle.
- 2 oz. Whiskey- (use what you prefer to drink, I used Four Roses.
- .75 oz. Lemon Juice- Fresh squeezed lemon juice is always the best. You will need about 1 lemon to get enough juice.
- 1 oz. Homemade Keto Simple Syrup – This syrup is made specifically with allulose sweetener. If you want to use other sweeteners, I highly recommend you read through the post for the best results.
- 2 Fresh Strawberries- Remove the tops from the berries and toss them in whole or halved.
- Fresh Mint Leaves – For Garnish
- Lemon Peel- I like to make a lemon peel rose. Check out my rose garnish tutorial!
- Crushed Ice- This is the ice I like to keep in the glass, but I shake the cocktail over ice cubes as to not dilute the drink.
This cocktail is easy to make and only a handful of ingredients. Start by adding your two strawberries into your cocktail shaker base and use a muddler to macerate your berries into a strawberry puree.
To that, pour in your keto simple syrup (or other syrup of choice) and fresh lemon juice. Pour in your bourbon and shake until the cocktail is chilled.
Use a strainer to pour over crushed ice in a rocks glass and make a lemon rose and add a mint sprig for color too. You can also add a few slices of fresh strawberries into the drink as well if you prefer.
Strawberry Lemonade Keto Whiskey Smash
- 1.5 oz. Whiskey
- .75 oz. Lemon Juice
- 2 Fresh Strawberries
- [1 oz. Keto Simple Syrup ]
- Fresh Mint for Garnish
- Crushed Ice
- In a cocktail shaker, add the sliced fresh strawberries and gently muddle with the keto simple syrup. Add in the lemon juice and the whiskey. Add crushed ice and shake until chilled.
- Pour into a rocks glass and garnish with fresh mint and lemon.
- Pingback: 20+ Keto Friendly Cocktail Recipes » Homemade Heather
- Pingback: 15 Eye-Catching Cocktail Recipes That Are Pink