The perfect, hearty chili recipe that’s lower in carbs (bean-less) and packed with flavor! Don’t let the tomatoes stop your from enjoying a classic comfort food dish.
Everyone needs a hearty bowl of comfort food in their life, whether you’re on a low carb/ keto diet or not. In fact, the idea behind most of my recipes here on Bon Appeteach are about finding healthier replacements for classic comfort food dishes (I mean come on, beside this chili my Keto Chicken Pot Pie is comfort food at it’s finest).
Low carb chili is easy to achieve when you remove the beans and tweak the recipes standard veggies (tomatoes, onions, and peppers all contain carbs too). This recipe is successful when you find that balance of spices and flavor to get them to marry well as a total package of deliciousness. Get the full recipe below!
- Knife & Cutting Board
- Large Pot
- Spatula/ Wooden Spoon
One pot and a handful of ingredients later and a delicious chili is born! This recipe is easy to recreate for a busy weeknight or something I love throwing on the stove to simmer all day on a Sunday.
Because there are no beans in this recipe, the body of this chili is just beef. You can also add a combination of beef and ground pork as well if you like the blend of flavors (I find this works well and even do this for Keto Meatballs too).
I start by sauteing the veggies, usually a blend of yellow onion and any peppers I have on hand. I like to go with green peppers, jalapenos, and maybe some poblanos too. Use what you like!
Add in the beef and brown it with half of the chili seasoning mixture. I find this works well with encouraging the flavor throughout the whole dish. Mix in a can of fire roasted tomatoes and a can of tomato sauce and the remaining seasoning to give the chili texture and some much needed liquid.
Once the mixture is heated through it is technically done, but I have to say chili to me always tastes better when it simmers for a while and even better on the second day! Pair your chili with some Keto Cornbread Muffins to bring the meal full circle.
Love a good chili recipe? Me too! Check out these similar recipes:
Low Carb Beef Chili
- 2 lbs. Ground Beef I like 80/20
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion diced small
- 2 Jalapenos seeded and diced small
- 1 Green Pepper diced small
- 1 Poblano optional, diced small
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 15 oz. can Tomato Sauce
- 1 10 oz. can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 4 tbsp. Chili Powder
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1 tbsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Cayenne
- In a small bowl, mix and combine all your spices.
- In a pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add your diced onion, peppers, and garlic. Mix in 1 tsp of the spice mixture into the veggies. Saute for 5-6 minutes and stir occasionally so they don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add in the ground beef and use a wooden spatula to break it up a bit. Add in the remaining seasoning to the pot as well. Continue to break up the meat and cook it in the pot with the veggies until it is browned.
- Next, add in the canned tomato sauce and the fire roasted tomatoes. Stir everything together and let it come to a simmer on medium heat. Once it hits a simmer it is technically "done" but the longer it cooks the more flavor develops. If you prefer to let it cook for a while, cover it with a lid and turn the heat to low. Stir it occasionally as needed.
- Serve with cheese, sour cream and some green onions or cilantro if desired.