- December 28, 2017
- 30 Minute Meals
Pull Apart Sliders Recipe
This pull-apart slider recipe on King’s Hawaiian rolls is truly an easy recipe that’s become a family favorite. If you love take out style cheeseburger sliders made with ground beef, slices of cheese, and topped with crispy pickles, then this recipe is for you!
I’ve been making these Hawaiian roll sliders for well over a decade. My party guests always love them because they taste very similar to a White Castle burger. They’re also fabulous for tailgating or a game day too (check out these other popular game day recipes for your smoker for more ideas).
Back in my full time teaching days, we often made these sliders when catering for various district run events and they would always be the first to go!
I’m not going to mislead you however, these are most likely one of the most unhealthy recipes that are on my website.
But, life is about moderation and enjoyment (if you’re looking for a healthier version, try my mini bacon cheeseburger kebabs or my recipe for a keto In N’ Out style smash burger instead).
They truly are an additive and easy way to feed a crowd. In fact, I’ve even seen a teacher or two throw a few elbows just to get the last burger… they’re THAT good.
What I love the most about these classic burger sliders, is that you don’t need to take all these extra steps to make the burger patties smaller for the slider rolls. I see this often done in other recipes and find it takes much longer to create the final outcome.
These pull apart sliders can also be cooked in one pan, added to the individual rolls, and topped to your liking with all your favorite sauces and favorite toppings.
Bake or smoke your sliders up and then serve them for your new favorite appetizer, simple meal, or game day snack!
Get all the details for making these amazing mini cheeseburger slider recipe below and read through the article for all the helpful tips, tricks, and techniques. Let’s dive in!
- Aluminum Foil
- Large Skillet
- Silicone Pastry Brush
- Serrated Knife
- Baking Dish or Sheet Pan
Use the outlined information below to help guide you through this recipe, identify recipe substitutions, and provide you tips for serving etc.
If you love this recipe or have feedback on your experience, please leave a recipe rating and comment below to help other readers (any myself) have the best outcome. Thanks and enjoy!
Here is what you will need to make these delicious burgers-
- King’s Hawaiian Rolls (or similar dinner rolls / potato rolls): Hawaiian sliders are my preferred roll for this recipe. You will not want to pull them apart until you’re going to serve them. Leave all the rolls as one connected loaf.
- Ground Beef: I use a slightly leaner ground beef because a lot of higher fat ingredients are added to this recipe already. Use what you have access too though.
- French Onion Seasoning Packet: This seasoning packet adds a ton of flavor to the sliders, so don’t omit. It’s made up of beef bouillon, garlic powder, onion powder and dried onion. You can also add a little Worcestershire sauce for that umami flavor.
- Shredded Cheddar: Shredded cheddar gets added to the beef mixture to create a rich and creamy texture and flavor.
- Mayo: I know this sounds really strange, but mayo acts not only as a binding agent
- American Cheese Slices: For extra cheesy pull-apart sliders!
- Melted Butter: You can brush on some melted butter over the buns at the end of the cooking process if desired.
- Sesame Seeds or Poppy Seeds: This is a nice little garnish to give it that classic cheeseburger feel!
- Optional Toppings: Caramelized onion, bacon, pickles, and this delicious burger sauce recipe!
Making your cheeseburger slider filling:
Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F. (you can also use a smoker for this too).
Start by cooking your ground beef and your French onion seasoning mixture in a frying pan on the stove top over medium heat.
You want to cook your meat until its browned fully and no longer pink (you should always cook ground meat to at least 165 F. according to the USDA).
Let the beef mixture cool off the heat for a few minutes before adding the shredded cheese and mayo to the mixture. Use a rubber spatula to fold it all together.
The mayo and cheese makes a huge difference in the overall texture of the sliders, so do not omit this!
How to assemble your pull apart sliders:
To make your sliders, use a serrated knife to cut through the middle of your Hawaiian bun loaf. You want the tops of the buns to stay connected, but set them aside.
Next, you either need a casserole baking dish or some foil placed down on the counter. Spray generously with non stick spray (this is so important so the bottom bun doesn’t stick).
Place bottom half of rolls over the foil (or baking dish) side by side so they are touching. Take your beef mixture and pour it evenly over the tops of the the bottom buns.
If you want additional toppings, add them now (bacon, caramelized onions, Dijon mustard, pickles, etc.).
Add the cheddar cheese slices over any of your toppings (this gives it that extra melty cheese feel). Then place the tops of the rolls back over the filling and press down lightly.
Wrap the foil around the slider buns so they are fully covered and place them in the oven at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Once heated through, remove them from the oven to rest for a few minutes.
Tips for serving, storing, and prepping ahead:
- Remove the sliders from the foil.
- If you want to add some extra flavor to the top of the buns, add some garlic butter. Melt butter and add fresh garlic to a small bowl and brush over the top buns only.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp. sesame seeds over the top for a classic hamburger bun feel if desired.
- Serve on a platter everyone can pull apart an individual slider as they desire.
- Prep and assemble ahead of time if desired and store in the fridge. Pull out an hour before baking to bring them to room temperature, then follow baking instructions (you may have to add an extra 10-15 minutes if they’re really cold).
- Reheat by microwaving for 20-30 seconds and dig in!
Grab the recipe below! If you’d love more burger inspiration, check out these 7 Epic Keto Bunless Burger recipes too for other healthy ideas for you next game day or burger night.
Pull Apart Sliders Recipe
- 2 Packs Hawaiian Rolls
- 2 lbs. Ground Beef
- 2 Packets French Onion Soup Mix (seasoning packet)
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2/3 cup Mayo
- 6 slices American or Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tbsp. Melted Butter
- 1 tbsp. Sesame Seeds
- Optional Toppings Pickles, relish, ketchup, mustard, caramelized onion, bacon etc.
- Start by cooking your ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Add your French onion seasoning packets directly to the raw beef and cook until the beef is golden brown. Drain the fat if needed.
- Remove the ground beef from the heat and set it aside to cool for a few minutes. While the beef is cooling, prep your slider buns.
- I prefer Hawaiian rolls for this recipe, but any other slider dinner roll works. Use a sharp serrated knife and cut the entire loaf evenly in a horizontal cut. Keep the buns connected. This gives you one large top bun and one large bottom bun. Repeat on the second loaf and set aside.
- Prep either a large baking dish or large sheet of foil and spray with non-stick spray. The buns will stick on the top and bottom if you skip this step.
- Go back to your beef mixture and add the shredded cheese and the mayo and use a spatula to fully mix and combine everything together.
- Place your bottom buns into the dish or over the foil so they are side by side and touching. Scoop all of your beef mixture and pour it evenly onto the bottom buns.
- Add any other toppings like pickles, bacon, onions, etc. Then cover with the slices of cheddar or American cheese.
- Add the top buns and press down lightly. Wrap in foil or if using a baking dish, cover the top with foil.
- Bake or smoke your pull apart sliders in a preheat 350 F. degree oven (or smoker on indirect heat). Cook until heated through and the cheese has melted, about 25-30 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl and brush over the top of the buns and then garnish with sesame seeds for a more authentic burger bun feel.
- Place on a platter and allow your guests to grab and go as needed! You can slice these too if you desire.