These delectable animal style sliders feature juicy burger patties topped with melty American cheese, sweet caramelized onions, and a secret sauce that’s bursting with flavor. Perfect for game day parties or casual gatherings, these sliders bring the iconic taste of In-N-Out to your own kitchen, allowing you to savor the irresistible blend of sweet, savory, and tangy in every bite.
If you’ve ever visited the West Coast, chances are you’ve heard of In-N-Out Burger and its iconic Animal Style Smash Burger. These mouthwatering cheeseburger sliders have become a fast-food legend, and today, we’re bringing that amazing flavor straight to the comfort of your own home with our copycat recipe. Get ready to dive into the world of Animal Style Cheeseburger Sliders!
Love sliders? Check out this recipe for my classic pull apart cheeseburger sliders that are modeled after the popular White Castle fast food chain restaurant too!
Why This Recipe Works:
- Balanced Flavor Profile: The combination of ingredients in this recipe creates a well-balanced flavor profile. The special sauce adds a tangy, sweet, and savory element, while the caramelized onions provide a rich and sweet contrast. Together with the juicy burger patties, American cheese, pickles, and fresh lettuce, you get a symphony of flavors in every bite.
- Texture Variety: Texture plays a crucial role in the success of this recipe. The crispy lettuce and pickles provide a satisfying crunch, while the melty cheese and tender burger patties create a luscious, mouthwatering experience. The secret sauce ties everything together, enhancing the overall texture and making each bite enjoyable.
- Customizable and Familiar: This recipe allows for customization to suit your personal preferences. You can adjust the level of doneness of the burger patties, add extra toppings like tomatoes or bacon, or modify the secret sauce to your taste. Additionally, the familiarity of In-N-Out’s Animal Style Burger makes this recipe a hit with those looking to recreate the flavors of a beloved fast-food favorite at home.
What Are Animal Style Sliders?
In-N-Out Burger, a beloved fast-food restaurant primarily found on the West Coast, is famous for its classic burgers and secret menu offerings. Among them, the Animal Style Burger reigns supreme. It’s a cheeseburger loaded with extra toppings, including sweet caramelized onions, pickles, and a secret sauce that takes it to the next level. I have In N Out protein style copycat burger recipe you can make too!
- Knife & Cutting Board
- Aluminum Foil
- Nonstick Spray
- Baking Sheets
- Mixing Bowl
To recreate these delicious cheeseburger sliders at home, gather the following ingredients:
- 2 lbs. Ground Beef (I used this delicious American Wagyu ground beef from Raikes Beef Co.)
- Hamburger buns (slider rolls)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- French Onion Seasoning Packet
- American cheese slices
- Caramelized Yellow onions
- Dill pickles
- Tomato Slices
- Lettuce leaves (I prefer shredded Iceburg lettuce for this recipe)
- Yellow mustard
- Sweet pickle relish
- Minced Onion
- Pickle Juice or White Vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper
Cooking Your Cheeseburger Sliders
1. Preparing the Secret Sauce
The secret sauce is the heart of the Animal Style Burger. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons of ketchup, 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard, 2 tablespoons of sweet pickle relish, 1 teaspoon of pickle juice brine or swap with white vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder, and minced onions. Mix it well and refrigerate until it’s time to assemble your sliders.
2. Caramelizing the Onions
Slice your yellow onions thinly. In a large skillet over medium heat, add a tablespoon of butter. Sauté the onions until they become golden brown and caramelized. Set the sautéed onions aside.
3. Making the Burger Patties
Begin by browning the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat with the French onion seasoning mix. Once browned and cooked through, drain any fat with a paper towel and let the beef cool to room temperature. Next, add in the shredded cheese (not the American cheese slices) and the mayo (trust the process) and mix to combine and set aside.
4. Assembling Your Sliders
To assemble your cheeseburger sliders, start with the bottom buns. Place the ground beef mixture right onto the base of the buns and top with the slices of cheese followed by the caramelized onions. Add the top bun layer and wrap each slider set in nonstick-coated foil.
5. Baking and Topping
Bake the sliders wrapped in foil directly on the oven racks at 350 F. for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is melty and gooey. Remove them from the oven and let them rest before carefully opening the foil packets to remove the top bun layer and add the tomato, pickles, lettuce, and of course the secret sauce.
5. Serve and Enjoy
Place your Animal Style Cheeseburger Sliders on a serving platter alongside some crispy fries. Don’t forget to offer extra spread on the side for dipping. These sliders are best enjoyed with a classic chocolate milkshake or a side salad for a balanced meal.
More Slider Recipes To Try
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Sliders Recipe
- Muffuletta Sliders
- Mini Chicago Hot Dog Sliders
- Brie Stuffed Sliders
Animal Style Sliders Recipe
- 12 Slider Buns
- 1 tbsp Melted Butter
- 2 lb Ground Beef
- 1/2 cup Mayo
- 1 packet French Onion Seasoning
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese
- 8 sliced American Cheese
- 1 cup Shredded Lettuce
- 1 Onion caramelized
- 2 small Tomatoes sliced thin
- 12 Pickles
- 1/2 cup Mayo
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Pickle Juice or white vinegar
- 1 tbsp Minced Onion
- 1 tbsp. Pickle Relish
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Combine the sauce ingredients together in a bowl and whisk until combined. Set it aside or place into the fridge until ready to use.
- Slice the onion and sauté over medium-low heat to caramelize.
- In a separate skillet, brown the ground beef with the French onion seasoning packet. Cook until browned and then drain any excess grease and let it cool slightly.
- To the ground beef, fold in the mayo and the shredded cheese until combined.
- Spray nonstick spray over aluminum foil (you may need to use a few sheets overlapped slightly). Place the bottom half of the slider buns right over the center of the foil.
- Layer the ground beef onto the slider buns and then add the slices of American cheese and the layer of caramelized onions. Add the top buns and then wrap in the foil.
- Place the sliders wrapped in foil directly onto the oven rack and bake for 30 minutes or until the filling and cheese is fully heated and melted.
- Remove from the oven and carefully unwrap and remove the top layer of the buns to add the toppings. Add the slices of tomatoes, pickles, and shredded lettuce and finish it off with the burger sauce.
- Place the top buns back onto the burgers and use a sharp knife to slice the sliders and place on a platter and serve.