An easy way to create a low carb dippable cheese sauce (aka keto fondue) that is perfect for sharing with your friends and family!
Have you ever made homemade fondue? Believe it or not it’s super easy a fun treat for date night, game night, or honestly… just for yourself.
What’s fun about fondue is not only that it’s fairly easy to make, but you can make it your own by utilizing different flavored cheeses (I like gouda, gruyere, and a creamy fontina) and finding fun knew low carb or keto friendly foods to dip into it too! You could even try this Keto Beer Cheese sauce I used when I made bacon wrapped wings!
Plan your next romantic date night with this recipe in mind. Find the keto fondue recipe below and read on for some really helpful tips and tricks.
- Large Pot
- Measuring Cup
- Cheese Grater
- Knife & Cutting Board
This easy keto friendly cheese fondue is a fun party appetizer or main dish meal idea for a special occasion. What I like about this sauce is that it’s only a handful of ingredients and can also be made ahead of time if needed.
To make the sauce, warm a saucepan on medium-low heat and add in your wine (I ended up going with some rose for this recipe because I already a bottle popped when I made this Rose Aperol Spritz), but white wines work well too.
Grate the cheese and coat it in 1 tsp of xanthan gum (aka keto cornstarch). Xanthan gum acts as a critical binding agent for this recipe and prevents the cheese from separating in your sauce.
If you opt to not use xanthan gum, you can also use cornstarch or arrowroot powder in a pinch. Additionally, a small amount of lemon juice also helps stabilize your sauce too, so make sure to add it as well.
I highly recommend you only use grated cheese in this recipe. Yes, it take a little bit more time, but it melts so much better and creates a smoother and creamier sauce.
To round out the cheese flavor, I sometimes like to add a tiny bit of Dijon or some roasted garlic too. Totally up to you and I suggest you taste test before hand.
What can I dip into the keto fondue cheese that’s also low carb friendly?
For the dippers, I wanted something that was fairly simple and opted to raid my fridge and freezer for all the meats and veggies. I roasted all the veggies, sausages, and shrimp one one sheet pan and create one large platter full of colorful and delicious foods perfect for dipping. You do not have to roast your food, I just prefer it to be hot with the cheese sauce personally.
If you’re really craving the bread and miss it, I sometimes use lower carb flax crackers (I like the ones from Trader Joe’s) or my low carb flatbread cut in to triangle, or even some keto corn muffins too. The idea is to provide a variety of yummy dippers to eat up all that delicious cheese sauce.
Find the full recipe for this Easy Homemade Keto Fondue below! Try pairing this dish with this week’s Bon Appeteach “Book Club” cocktail too, The Rose Aperol Spritz for a perfect dinner party or date night drink!
Easy Homemade Keto Fondue
- 1 lb of Freshly Grated Cheese I like a blend of gouda, gruyere, and elemental
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 cups Dry White White Sauvignon Blanc or even a champagne works
- 1 tsp. Xanthan Gum see notes in the blog post above
- Dippers- A variety of meats and cheeses Tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli, sausage, shrimp, radishes, etc.
- Grate your cheese and toss the xanthan gum over it to coat. Set it aside.
- Take a garlic clove and coat the pot by rubbing it on the inside and set it aside.
- For the sauce, heat the wine and lemon juice on medium low heat in a pot. Once the wine begins to simmer, slowly whisk in and melt small handfuls of the cheese at a time until it is all incorporated and whisked until smooth and creamy.
- Place in a serving bowl or fondue pot. To reheat, heat on half power for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat until the cheese has heated through to the desire temperature.
- Serve with roasted or raw veggies, various, meats, etc.