Are you looking for a delicious way to use up leftover brisket? Look no further than this mouth-watering smoked brisket chili! This recipe takes tender, juicy brisket to the next level with a tantalizing blend of spices and a rich, smoky flavor for the perfect chili recipe.
Why This Recipe Works:
Super Flavorful: This smoked brisket chili recipe takes your chili up a notch. The smoked brisket offers a deeper dimension of flavor than the ground beef in traditional chili offers. Plus, I use the perfect combination of smoky, savory spices to create an amazing flavor. This chili turns out so warm and comforting, and everyone in the fam will love it!
Perfect for Leftover Brisket: I would honestly smoke some brisket up just to make this amazing chili recipe, but it is seriously perfect for any leftover brisket you have! You might be asking… why would I have leftover brisket on hand? Well, as a huge fan of grilling and smoking meat, it has happened to me on many occasions. This is the best excuse to perfect your brisket making skills and use any leftovers in an amazingly delicious chili!
Brisket Chili Ingredients:
- Brisket: I used up what I had from my leftover brisket recipe. You can make brisket specifically for this recipe, or just use up leftovers after you make it!
- Veggies & Aromatics: I used onion, garlic, green pepper, and jalapeño here. They offer lots of flavors and plenty of aromas!
- Cocoa Powder: Trust me on this one! It adds a flavor you would otherwise not get. It is slightly bitter and goes really well with the smoky spices. You won’t taste chocolate here, I promise!
- Coffee: Again, just trust me. The coffee will reduce a bit and it adds a bit of complexity to these spices.
- Chili Seasoning Mix: Use your favorite chili seasoning mix here!
- Fire-Roasted Tomatoes: Some fire-roasted tomatoes offer more flavor than regular tomatoes and make this chili nice and sauce!
- White & Kidney Beans: I used a can of white beans and a can of kidney beans. You can use pinto, navy, or great northern beans!
How To Make Smoked Brisket Chili:
- Prep: In a small bowl, combine the cocoa powder and the coffee. Whisk to combine and set aside. This adds depth to the chili but doesn’t make it taste like coffee or chocolate.
- Start Cooking: In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, add the olive. Add in the onion and peppers and sauté for 5-6 minutes, then mix in the minced garlic for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the Spices: To the cooked veggies, add half of the chili seasoning and mix well for 1-2 minutes. Then add in the coffee and cocoa powder mixture and combine it all together into the veggie mixture.
- Add Tomatoes: Next, add in the whole can of fire-roasted tomatoes and both cans of beans (with the liquid included). Add in the remaining seasoning left in the chili packet and stir everything together until combined.
- Let Simmer: Allow the mixture to cook together for about 10-15 minutes over medium-low heat before adding in the chopped brisket pieces.
- Option to Make Thicker: This chili is cooked once everything is heated through, but if you prefer it to be slightly thicker, you can blend about 1.5-2 cups of the chili and then fold it back into the chili for a more cohesive texture. Or you can also use an immersion blender and blend with a few pulses to have the same effect.
- Serve and Enjoy: The chili is ready to eat right away with your favorite toppings. Store leftovers in an airtight container and enjoy for 3-5 days.
Toppings And Serving Tips:
Top your smoked brisket chili recipe off with all of your favorite chili toppings! I recommend the following:
- Sour Cream
- Fritos or Tortilla Chips
- Cornbread (try my cornbread bowls-specifically made for chili!)
- Green Onions
- Cheese (really any kind works, but cheddar is pretty amazing!)
Frequently Asked Questions:
Technically it doesn’t have to have beans. Some chili recipes call for beans and others don’t! I like the flavor and nutrients that beans lend to this brisket chili recipe. However, you can feel free to omit them if you prefer.
Yes! After it is cooled, transfer it to an airtight, freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 4 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and then reheat on the stove before serving.
This chili will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. The flavors get even better once they have been sitting together for a day, so this is a great make-ahead recipe!
More Chili Recipes To Try:
- Keto Chipotle Chili
- White Chicken Chili
- Over the Top Smoked Chili
- Low Carb Beef Chili
- Pumpkin Turkey Chili
Smoked Brisket Chili Recipe
- 4 cups Leftover Smoked Brisket chopped
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Onion diced small
- 1 Green Pepper diced small
- 1 Jalapeno seeds removed, minced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tbsp. Cocoa Powder
- 3 tbsp Coffee
- 1 packet Chili Seasoning Mix
- 1 14.5 oz Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 15.5 oz White Beans do not drain
- 1 15.5 oz Kidney Beans do not drain
- In a small bowl, combine the cocoa powder and the coffee. Whisk to combine and set aside (this adds depth to the chili, but doesn't make it taste like coffee or chocolate).
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, add the olive.
- Add in the onion and peppers and sauté for 5-6 minutes, then mix in the minced garlic for 1-2 minutes.
- To the cooked veggies, add in half the chili seasoning and mix well for 1-2 minutes. Then add in the coffee and cocoa powder mixture and combine it all together into the veggie mixture.
- Next, add in the whole can of fire roasted tomatoes and both cans of beans (with the liquid included).
- Add in the remaining seasoning left in the chili packet and stir everything together until combined.
- Allow the mixture to cook together for about 10-15 minutes over medium low heat before adding in the chopped up brisket pieces.
- The chili is cooked once everything is heated through, but if you prefer it to be slightly thicker you can blend about 1.5-2 cups of the chili mix and then fold it back into the chili for a more cohesive texture (you can also immersion blend for a few pulses with the same effect to thicken everything).
- The chili is ready to eat right away with your favorite toppings. Store leftovers in an airtight container and enjoy for 3-5 days.