Open your favorite bag of potato chips and dig into this delicious garlic dip recipe. The perfect easy recipe for chips or veggie dip to make as a party appetizer.
First and foremost, this is a garlic lovers dip. Why? Because it absolutely loaded with garlic flavor and will definitely be something you want to share with your significant other (this way you can both have happy tastebuds and have bad breath together).
This recipe is one my family has been making for decades and was first made by my Great Grandmother. As I am of Armenian descent, the traditional garlic dipping sauce is commonly served alongside kebabs, lavash bread, or with other middle eastern dishes. It’s a simple dip with a fluffy texture that packs so much flavor.
While this dip is definitely not an authentic Armenian recipe (it’s a chip dip and has French dressing in it), it is however inspired by those same flavors. Needless to say, if you love garlic and dipping potato chips into a delicious dip, this is definitely a MUST MAKE recipe.
- Medium Bowl
- Small Bowl (for serving the dip)
- Hand Mixer (or immersion blender)
- Garlic Press ( I love this to help
Welcome to my virtual classroom! Use the guided notes below where I often answer commonly asked questions I get from readers and cooks just like you.
This information is meant to help you have a stronger understanding of this recipe and the process so you can find success all on your own.
Ready to begin cooking? Simply jump to the recipe card below and begin.
Garlic Chip Dip Ingredients:
This recipe really only requires five simple ingredients. Here is what you will need:
- Cream Cheese (room temperature)
- Mayonnaise (You can substitute the mayo with sour cream if you prefer.)
- Fresh Garlic Cloves
- French Dressing
- Kosher Salt
- Green Onions or Fresh Chives (optional garnish)
This delicious dip recipe takes about 5 minutes in total to prepare. It works best if you start with room-temperature cream cheese (or soften it slightly in the microwave).
While this dip is the most uncomplicated recipe to make, I find the best results come from using freshly minced garlic (not garlic powder or any garlic that comes pre-minced in a jar). You will want to use garlic heads specifically for this recipe.
Additionally, it tastes best when it’s made a day ahead of time. This allows the flavors to fully develop and give maximum flavor.
- Mince all the fresh garlic and place it in a bowl.
- Next, add the softened cream cheese, mayo, French dressing, and salt to the garlic in the bowl.
- Use a hand mixer and blend the cream cheese and other ingredients together in the bowl until mixed, creamy, and fluffy.
- Scoop the mixture out and place it into a smaller dish you plan to use for serving it and cover it in plastic wrap. Place it in the fridge and let the flavors develop overnight or 1-2 days ahead of time.
- Remove the dip from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before you plan on dipping chips or fresh vegetables into it (it makes it easier to dip into it) for a nice creamy texture.
What Do I Pair With Garlic Dip?
Here are some great food options to pair with garlic dip:
- Potato Chips (thicker potato chips with ridges work best)
- Raw Vegetables (carrots, cucumber, celery, etc.)
- Pita Bread (here is my low-carb pita bread recipe for an additional option)
- Tortilla Chips or Crackers
How Long Does Garlic Dip Last?
Garlic dip can last up to 7 days covered in the fridge in an airtight container. You can also prepare this dip 1-2 days in advance as well.
Other Appetizer Recipes To Try:
Garlic Dip Recipe
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese softened
- 1/3 cup Mayo
- 2-3 tbsp. French Dressing
- 5-6 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the soften cream cheese, mayo, French dressing, salt, and minced raw garlic.
- Use a hand mixer to blend the cream cheese mixture until fully blended and fluffy in texture. Test taste to adjust seasoning (sometimes you might want more salt or a little more French dressing).
- Transfer the dip to a serving bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. The dip is best served after it has sat overnight in the fridge (for maximum garlic flavor).
- Allow the dip to sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before serving with potato chips, veggies, pita chips or crackers. Garnish with green onion or chives if desired.