Bagel lover? Make your own homemade everything bagel chips with this simple recipe and tutorial and use them for snacking, dips, and charcuterie boards.
While traditional crackers and chips are great for dipping (I love all those options, don’t get me wrong), I will say however I am becoming very addicted to these homemade bagel chips.
Can you buy bagel chips in the store? Yes, you can. But, they’re often more expensive and very very crunchy. I prefer my bagel chips toasted and golden brown on both sides with a slight chew to the inside.
Not to mention, you can also customize the flavor profile depending on what bagel you use and add in additional seasonings. Ultimately, it’s a simple way to amplify both flavor and textures to create a better bite!
Grab all the recipe details below along with helpful preparation tips, cooking methods, and fun ways to enjoy your own crunchy homemade bagel chip with your favorite dip. Let’s dive in!
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Serrated Knife & Cutting Board
- Large Frying Pan or Baking Sheet
- Measuring Spoons
Welcome to my virtual classroom! Use the guided notes below where I often answer commonly asked questions I get from readers and cooks just like you.
This information is meant to help you have a stronger understanding of this recipe and the process so you can find success all on your own.
Ready to begin cooking? Simply jump to the recipe below and begin.
Why This Recipe Works:
Bagel chips are something you can buy at the store, but they lack the ability to customize and stores obviously charge more for convenience costs.
While I am definitely here for saving time if I find myself with some bagels that are not as fresh or just need a last minute chip for dipping these are a great option and take no time at all (less than 15 minutes).
Additionally, everything bagel seasoning has been having a moment for quite a while now. Making these with the addition of some truffle oil and some sea salt is extra addictive.
What Is Everything Bagel Seasoning Made Of?
Everything bagel seasoning is made up of all the bagel seasonings we love! Here is what spices and seeds are in this blend:
- Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Poppy Seeds
- Dried Garlic or Garlic Powder
- Dried Onions
- Salt and Pepper
I would encourage you just to buy everything bagels for this recipe (I often have some on hand in my freezer) but feel free to mix up your own spice blend to toss onto the chips for some added flavor and crunch.
Everything Bagel Chip Ingredients:
To make your bagel chips you will also need-
- Everything Bagels
- Olive Oil
- Optional- additional everything bagel seasoning and truffle oil
Quick Pro Tip- Browning the bagel slices in both a mixture of butter and olive oil creates a rich flavor but also encourages a nice even browning.
- Start by slicing your bagel pieces into thin slices, about 1/4 inch thick. Cut the bagel in half then slice at a slight angle using a serrated knife. See the photos of this step or watch the video to help you visualize the process!
- Toss the sliced bagel pieces into a large mixing bowl. To this add some of the truffle oil (optional), olive oil, and melted butter. Use your hands to coat all the slices so both sides of every piece are coated in the butter/ oil mixture.
- While these are great as is, I do love more seasoning. Add some sea salt or additional everything bagel seasoning to the coated bagel chip pieces and toss again.
Pan Frying (preferred method):
Preheat a large frying pan to medium heat. Place as many bagel chip pieces as you can down into the pan, do not overcrowd.
You will need to cook these in batches. Keep an eye on the temperature and reduce it as needed if they brown too fast. Flip and brown each side and repeat this until all the chips are cooked.
Preheat the oven to 400. Add some olive oil spray in a single layer to the baking sheet and place your bagel pieces down onto the pan. Bake for 7 minutes and flip and bake another 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
Preheat your air fryer to 350 F. Place the bagel slices onto the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook for 4-5 minutes per side until crispy and lightly golden brown. Watch carefully so they do not burn!
What To Do With Bagel Chips?
I love snacking on these as is or with some simple cheese and salami. You can also go the traditional bagel route and snack on them with some cream cheese and smoked salmon too.
Here are some of my favorite bagel dips you can pair these chips with:
Like this recipe or want to share some feedback? Post your recipe and tag me on social media via Instagram @Bonappeteach or leave a comment and review below to share!
Everything Bagel Chips Recipe
- 3 Everything Bagels
- 2 tbsp. Melted Butter
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Truffle Oil
- Start by slicing the everything bagels into chips. Cut the bagel in half to start, then slice 1/4 inch rounds on a slight angle into each of the halves. See the pictures above in the article or watch the video for reference.
- Place the sliced bagel pieces into a mixing bowl. Add in the olive oil, melted butter, everything bagel seasoning, and truffle oil if desired (it is delicious). Toss until the bread is fully coated on all sides and seasoned.
Pan Searing (preferred method)
- Preheat a large frying pan to medium heat. Place as many bagel chip pieces as you can down into the pan, do not over crowd. You will need to cook these in batches. Keep an eye on the temperature and reduce it as needed if they brown too fast. Flip and brown each side and repeat this until all the chips are cooked.
- Preheat the oven to 400. Add some olive oil spray in a single layer to the baking sheet and place your bagel pieces down onto the pan. Bake for 7 minutes and flip and bake another 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 F. Place the bagel slices onto the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook for 4-5 minutes per side until crispy and lightly golden brown. Watch carefully so they do not burn!