A rich chocolate cocoa, made to be low carb and keto friendly. The perfect go-to hot chocolate all winter long.
Winter in the Midwest is not complete without at least one mug of hot chocolate to get you through. This keto hot cocoa recipe is definitely one you need to add to your holiday recipe list, because it tastes sinfully delicious!
The trick to making a good hot cocoa is using good quality ingredients and knowing which low carb sweetener you like best (I prefer the Lakanto or allulose brands).
Also, no homemade cocoa is complete without a pile of (keto) homemade whipped cream! Find the full recipe below and read on for a few fun tips and tricks.
- Medium Pot
- Measuring Cups
- Mixing Bowl
Like I mentioned above, the best hot cocoa comes down to a few key components. The first, is the quality of ingredients you choose to use. For the chocolate in this recipe, I prefer a high quality dark chocolate or Lily’s Sugar Free chocolate, as well as using a good high quality unsweetened cocoa powder.
The better the chocolate, the better the hot cocoa!
The second, is being sure to balance the temperature on the stove. When adding cream or almond milk, you do not want the liquids to simmer or boil.
The temperatures should be high enough that the liquid is heated through and the chocolate can melt, but low enough the dairy doesn’t scorch and your chocolate doesn’t burn and separate.
Additionally, I like to add a splash of vanilla and a pinch of salt to my hot cocoa. I find vanilla actually helps enhance the chocolate flavor and adds to the richness of the drink.
Occasionally, I like to add spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, or even cayenne for a little spicy kick! Feeling a little adventurous? Try adding in a tiny bit of peppermint extract and a few shots of strong coffee or espresso for an easy peppermint mocha style beverage too. Whatever you choose, be sure to top it off with homemade whipped cream (and make a little extra to share with the dogo in your life). Check out this super Easy Low Carb Hot Cocoa recipe below!
Looking for more comfort food recipes and keto friendly ideas of the holidays? Check out my 120 page FREE Keto Comfort Food & Holiday Classics recipe e-book out now!
- 3 cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 4 oz. Dark Chocolate or Sugar Free Chocolate
- 2 tbsp. Low Carb Sweetener
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- Pinch of Salt
- 1. In a medium saucepan, warm the almond milk on medium heat.
- 2. Add the cocoa powder and chopped chocolate and stir until dissolved.
- 3. Add in the low carb sweetener, vanilla, and a pinch of salt (I don’t make mine overly sweet…if you do you may need to add more as needed).
- 4. Once it is warmed through and all the chocolate is dissolved, remove from the heat and add to your mugs.
- 5. Top your cocoa with the whipped cream and garnish with cocoa powder or dark chocolate shavings!