A rustic way of changing up your classic egg salad sandwich to not only be low carb and keto friendly, but delicious and flavorful too!
Rustic Egg Salad Cups:
The fridge is looking rather sparse today but there is one item I seem to have plenty of. Hard boiled eggs. I was able to scrounge up enough random odds and ends in my fridge from my leftovers to create what I am calling my Rustic Egg Salad Cups.
This is a fun and flavorful way to use up all those leftovers and take your typical egg salad in a different direction. Whether you’re a low carb eater or not, they are a great lunch or dinner option that’s simple and delicious.
The full recipe is below and you can read on for helpful tips and tricks!
- Cutting Board & Knife
- Small Bowl & Whisk
- Measuring cups/ spoons
I knew when I saw all these leftovers that I really wanted to make egg salad. But, if you are like me and living this low carb life…. then you have probably had your fair share of egg salad by now (and eggs in general). These eggs were just dying for something a little different, so here is what I came up with!
Instead of mashing the eggs like I normally do, I cut them into wedges. You could still dice into chunks but I prefer the cleaner look of the wedges and think it makes it easier to pick up when it is all finished.
I wanted to toss in a few veggies like tomatoes, a bit of red onion, and some sliced avocado. If you are looking to really get back on track from a rough weekend of carbs, then maybe omit the onion.
Place all your diced up items (I kept everything fairly large for this) into each lettuce cup. You could also toss the egg salad mixture with some shredded romaine or spinach depending on your preference.
Finally, this salad needed a little dressing to bring it all together. A classic egg salad is made with mayo and mustard so I combined a bit of leftover homemade mayo I had on hand, a splash of Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and a pinch of smoky paprika.
Place your egg mixture inside the cups. Then lightly drizzle the mayo and mustard dressing over the top! These make a perfect weekday lunch and even better for a Monday night dinner after a long weekend.
These are so so simple and absolutely delicious! The whole recipe for Rustic Egg Salad Cups can be found below!
If you love this egg recipe and are looking for some other great hard boiled egg recipe ideas, then check out these Spicy Chipotle & Jalapeno Deviled Eggs too or my roundup of 13 keto and low carb friendly egg recipes that are perfect for any meal!
- 4 Hard Boiled Eggs
- 1 Small Tomato
- 4 Romaine Lettuce Leaves
- 4 Slices of Bacon, diced
- 4 Tbsp. Red Onion, sliced thin
- 4 Tbsp. Blue Cheese
- 1/2 Avocado, diced
- 1/4 Cup Mayo
- 1 tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Paprika
- Prepare your bacon as you prefer (I like to bake mine personally). Set aside on a paper towel to drain any grease.
- Create the salad cups from your head of iceberg lettuce buy cutting the head in half and peeling off 4 layers. Set the lettuce cups aside.
- Take your peeled hard boiled eggs and cut into wedges. You should have 4 egg wedges from each egg. Repeat the same technique with your tomatoes as well. Thinly slice a bit of red onion and dice the avocado. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine the mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, and paprika. Use a whisk to stir together. The mixture is fairly thick.
- Assemble the cups by placing a few egg slices and tomato wedges into the cups first. Then add the avocado, bacon, and sliced red onion. Sprinkle with a bit of blue cheese and drizzle on the dressing. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 412mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g