“The perfect low carb indulgence on the classic comfort food that is chicken and waffles. This breakfast is keto, sugar free, and gluten free. Indulge in the perfect OG breakfast without all the carbs.”
Low Carb Chicken And Waffle Bites:
Ho ho ho. Is it Christmas? I feel like it’s Christmas….
Nope. It’s actually only one official day into summer and I’m feeling all the summer vibes. But despite the heat, these lil snack bites make me feel like I’m doing something right with my life (hence all the feels of Christmas). I wanted to create a fun appetizer/ brunch / snack dish that could be a part of your low carb arsenal. Also, who doesn’t love a good chicken and waffles?
This recipe was inspired by my Bon Appeteach “Book Club” series and the Tequila Sunrise (keto version available) that pairs perfectly with these Low Carb Chicken And Waffle Bites. So, let’s dive in shall we!? Find the full recipe for this easy Low Carb Chicken And Waffle Bites at the bottom of the page and read on for more tips and tricks!
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups/ Spoons
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Plate/ Small Bowl
- Toothpicks/ skewers
- Waffle Iron
Low carb chicken tenders are nothing new. I however, am a firm believer in flavor. I like mine to pack a punch. Whether you pre-cut the chicken into strips, pound out an entire cutlet, or use an entire chicken thigh… I implore you, season not just the coating but the actual chicken too! If you have extra time, you can even pre-soak it in buttermilk to make it extra delicious. I like to bread mine with a seasoned almond flour mixture.
Now, in order to keep this simple and easy, I to do a quick sear in a frying pan to get the outside nice and crispy then finish them off in the oven. If you plan on frying the entire cutlet you run the risk of losing the coating. You may want to play around with partially freezing the breaded chicken (15-20 minutes) to help it adhere better. But, I find that the mixture of searing and baking is the best way to go.
I am obsessed with this waffle iron. It is one of my favorite kitchen appliances. We had three in my last classroom and would frequently sell waffles in our student run cafe, so I am well versed in waffle irons. I lead an exciting life….
Anyways, to make a low carb waffle I really believe in getting that “crispy outside and soft inside” thing going on. There are a lot of low carb waffle recipes out there so I figured there was no point in recreating the keto wheel on this one and used the Birch Benders keto mix for these waffles or if from scratch is your thing, check out my friend Anna over on Ketoinpearls.com‘s keto waffle recipe too!
Eat your Low Carb Chicken and Waffles as is, but where is the fun in that? I am kind of obsessed with finger foods and appetizers. The first step is always admission right? Cool. I cut the waffles into quarters to form my “sandwich” bites. Pre-cut the chicken to match the size of your waffles (I fillet the chicken breast in half and then cut each fillet in half giving me 4 pieces of chicken).
I made my Low Carb Chicken and Waffle bites with a slice of thick cut bacon, a few dill pickles, some stone ground mustard, and a quick drizzle of sugar free syrup. Place on a platter and then grab as many as you can before everyone else does!
- Birch Benders Keto Waffle Mix
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup Crushed Pork Rinds
- 1 Egg
- Oil for Pan Fry (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne powder
- Optional: Sugar Free Syrup, Bacon, Pickles, Stone Ground Mustard
- Take the chicken breast and butterfly/ fillet it open. Cut each half in half. This gives you 4 total pieces to work with. Allow them to soak in the buttermilk either overnight or for a few hours prior to making.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, the parika, and the cayenne powder.
- In a bowl, beat the one egg and set aside. In another bowl, add the pork rinds and season with salt and pepper. Take each chicken piece and coat in egg and then dredge it in the pork rind crumbs. Set aside and repeat.
- To partially pan fry, heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and quickly cook each side of the chicken till it browns. Remove and add to a foil covered baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees or until done.
- While the chicken is cooking, make your keto friendly waffles and assemble.
Assembly: Place a fried chicken piece onto one of the waffles. Add a slice of bacon and two pickles. On another waffle piece, add some stone ground mustard and then sandwich it with the chicken. Drizzle with sugar free (or maple) syrup. Place a toothpick through it and serve on a platter.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 175mg Sodium: 445mg Carbohydrates: 4g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Protein: 14g