A simple, southwest inspired smoky dressing that you can pair with your favorite salads, spread on burgers and sandwiches, or use as a delicious dipping sauce!
Making a good dipping sauce or homemade dressing is not something I am a stranger too. I love this homemade burger sauce recipe, this addictive easy lemon dill sauce, and my favorite avocado dressing too.
However, I can honestly say I’ll be making this homemade BBQ ranch dressing recipe weekly. It’s the perfect condiment to pair with this California flatbread pizza, and even with wings or air fried cheese curds.
This recipe uses staple pantry spices and herbs, sour cream, and your favorite BBQ sauce.
If you’re already a classic ranch lover, this is a fun way to take it up a few notches and add the smoky sweetness of barbecue sauce.
Check out all the details for this homemade sauce recipe below by reading through the article. Ready to get cooking? Jump to the recipe card below and dive in!
- Small Bowl
- Measuring Cups/ Spoons
- Jar (storing your dressing)
Want to learn more about this recipe, the ingredients, and the cooking tips and techniques used? Read through the article and my detailed culinary notes to help guide you through this recipe. Enjoy!
Ranch Seasoning Spices:
While you can buy the ranch seasoning packets at your local grocery store, it’s honestly easy to whip up your own with the right seasoning blend.
Here are the herbs and spices I included in this dressing recipe:
- Dried Dill
- Dried Parsley
- Dried Tarragon
- Dried Chives
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Mustard Powder
- Salt and Black Pepper
While these make up the ranch seasonings, I needed to amplify the smoky barbecue flavor as well. I like to add smoked paprika or even chipotle powder or red pepper flakes for some heat as well.
Mix all your seasonings together and set them aside to be added when needed.
Fresh herbs can be used here in place of dry (like fresh dill or chives), but I do find that dried still work best here for amplifying the overall flavor of the dressing.
BBQ Ranch Salad Dressing Ingredients:
Here is a breakdown of the ingredients I used to make this recipe:
- Sour Cream: This is the main base of the dressing. You will slightly thin out the sour cream to make it thinner and a similar consistency as traditional salad dressing.
- Milk or Buttermilk: I use this to help thin out the sour cream just slightly. You can use regular milk and just add a splash of vinegar or 1 tsp lemon juice to be a similar consistency as buttermilk too if you prefer.
- Ranch Seasoning: Use a variety of pantry staple herbs and spices I listed above. I find the best flavors come from using your own spices over the packaged mix.
- BBQ Sauce: Use your favorite store bought or homemade BBQ sauce to your dressing.
Making Your Dressing:
This is a simple recipe to make if this is your first time making a homemade dressing. Start by combining all your spices together in a bowl and set it aside.
Next, add your sour cream, a few tablespoons BBQ sauce, and the seasonings together.
Whisk this mixture together, then slightly thin it out with the milk as desired. Taste test your dressing and adjust the seasonings as desired.
Tips For Storage and Serving:
- Store the dressing in a glass jar for the best flavor (I avoid plastic containers here).
- Let the dressing sit overnight in the fridge or make a day ahead of time for the best flavor. The dried herbs and spices need time to rehydrate and marinade together for maximum flavor.
- It makes a decent amount of dressing too and should be good for up to 7 days after making.
- Want more of a natural smoke flavor? You could add additional smoked paprika (avoid liquid smoke).
- Serve as a dipping sauce with French fries, onion rings, these avocado fries, over burgers etc.
- It is obviously great with a variety of salad recipes or over leftover grilled chicken breast.
Did you make this recipe? Leave a rating and a comment below to review your cooking experience to help other readers and home cooks with this recipe!
BBQ Ranch Dressing Recipe
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp. Buttermilk or Milk
- 3 tbsp. BBQ Sauce
- 1 tsp Smoky Paprika
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1 tsp Dill
- 1 tsp Chives
- 1/2 tsp Tarragon
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Powder
- Add all the ranch seasonings together in a small bowl and mix. Set aside.
- In a larger mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, milk, BBQ sauce, and smoky paprika. Whisk until mixed.
- Add your ranch seasonings to the BBQ sour cream mixture and taste test. Adjust spices as needed or thin the mixture out slightly (if you prefer) with more milk (only 1-2 tsp at a time).
- Once your BBQ ranch dressing is mixed you should let it sit and rest for about an hour before using. This helps the dried herbs and spices to become rehydrated and amplifies the flavor.
- Serve over your favorite salad or use as a dipping sauce. Keep refrigerated for up to 5 days.