This fun spicy bloody Mary recipe is inspired by the Sanderson sisters from Hocus Pocus. It’s a fun and festive way to celebrate spooky season.
If you’re like me and grew up watching Hocus Pocus every fall, then this Halloween bloody Mary is the drink you never knew you needed. This specific drink is actually part two of a three part series of cocktails, where I make drinks inspired by the Sanderson sister’s themselves.
Check out this fun Yellow Bird cocktail inspired by Sarah Sanderson too!
If Mary Sanderson was a cocktail, she most definitely would be this loaded, spicy, flaming hot Cheeto rimmed drink with all the yummy garnishes. What truly makes this festive for a Halloween party or spooky themed brunch is the black vodka.
Grab all the details for mixing up the perfect Halloween cocktail below. Let’s get to mixing!
- Cocktail Pitcher
- Bar Spoon
- Glass Jar with Lid
- Collins glasses
- Skewers (for garnish)
Grab all my culinary tips and techniques below!
Black Vodka Bloody Mary Mix Ingredients:
- Vodka: Use any standard vodka that you like. You can actually buy a “black vodka”, but I find that it’s best to just make this personally.
- Black Food Dye: Gels or drops work. I bought this set of dye.
- Bloody Mary Mix: Use a mix that you like or use standard cans of tomato juice.
- Pickle Juice: I love pickle juice for a bit of a salty, briny, kick!
- Lemon Juice: A bit of citrus juice like lemon helps balance everything out, you can swap with lime if needed.
- Tabasco Sauce: I prefer Tabasco, but use any hot sauce you like or have on hand.
- Worcestershire Sauce: This adds some depth and an umami flavor to the bloody Mary mix.
- Garnishes: Use traditional celery sticks, celery salt, a lime wedge, olives, and any other toppings you like. Read more below for how I made prosciutto, mozzarella and olive eyeballs. Season with a little salt and black pepper too if you like.
- Flaming Hot Cheetos: Crush up the Cheetos in a plastic bag so you can rim the cocktail glass.
How to mix up the perfect bloody Mary cocktail:
Start by mixing up your black vodka. Just add your vodka into the jar and add some drops of the black food coloring until you get the desired color. Give it all a good shake and set it aside.
I love building a bloody Mary into a cocktail pitcher, because it’s a larger vessel to make your drink in. However, you can use a traditional cocktail shaker too.
Start by pouring your bloody Mary mix or tomato juice into the pitcher. Add your pickle juice and lemon juice to the mix. The top with the Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco.
If you like it a little extra spicy with a kick, try adding in some horseradish too. Add some ice to chill and give everything a nice mix with a bar spoon or a large stick of celery.
Preparing the glass and the garnishes:
Use a taller Collins style glass or pint glass to serve your black vodka bloody’s in. Use the discarded lemon rind to wet the rim of the glass.
Take the fine dusting of your flaming hot Cheetos and coat the rim of the glass. Fill the glass with ice and pour 3/4th of the way up with the bloody Mary mixture. The top it off with the black vodka for the spooky Halloween effect.
Finish the drink off with any of your favorite garnishes. I like to start with a traditional celery stick. To pay homage to dear old “boooook”, I made a prosciutto and mozzarella eye ball.
To make your eyeballs simple slice off the end of a green olive with a red pimento in the middle. Place it over the top of a mini mozzarella ball and push down a bit. Then wrap it in a piece of prosciutto (so it looks like skin).
Place the eyeball onto a skewer and add it to your cocktail and sip, sip away! Drink responsibly and try pairing it with these fun and festive Halloween Pizza Sugar Skulls or some festive Pumpkin Spice Hot Wings (perfect for a brunch actually).
The Mary Sanderson- Black Vodka Spicy Bloody Mary
- 1 cup Bloody Mary Mix
- 1/4 cup Vodka
- [Black Food Dye Drops ]
- 1 tbsp. Pickle Juice
- Half a Lemon Juiced
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 7-8 Dashes of Tabasco Sauce
- 1/4 cup Flaming Hot Cheetos Crushed
- Garnishes like Celery and Prosciutto Mozzarella Eyeballs
- In a glass jar, add the vodka and black dye and shake until its mixed and set it aside.
- In a cocktail pitcher, combine the bloody Mary mix, the lemon juice, pickle juice, and Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco.
- Mix it well with ice and set it aside.
- Rim your glass with the flaming hot Cheetos using the leftover lemon rind. Add ice to your glasses.
- Strain 1/2 cup of the bloody Mary mixture into each glass. Top it off with 2 oz. each of the black colored vodka.
- Add your eyeball garnishes and celery to the glass and serve!