Cool off all summer long and learn how to make a frozen watermelon pina colada with this delicious, slightly boozy treat!
We can all admit how delicious a pina colada is right? Something about the pineapple coconut combo hits right when the weather is getting hot.
These adorable mini watermelon piña coladas can be made right at home with a few simple ingredients.
Below you’ll find more details on the ingredients, prepping the mini watermelons, and tips on making this with two types of rum (or even non-alcoholic if you prefer).
Let’s dive in!
- Large Blender
- Paring Knife and Cutting Board
- Large Spoon
Welcome to my virtual classroom! Use the guided notes below where I often answer commonly asked questions I get from readers and cooks just like you.
This information is meant to help you have a stronger understanding of this recipe and the process so you can find success all on your own.
Ready to begin cooking? Simply jump to the recipe below and begin.
Watermelon Colada Ingredients:
- Frozen Watermelon
- Frozen Pineapple
- Full Fat Coconut Cream (not standard coconut milk)
- Light Rum
- Dark Rum
- Garnish- Pineapple leaves, pineapple wedges, and some chia seeds
Start by slicing your mini watermelon in half. Use a pairing knife and cut around the inside edge of the watermelon and then cut slices into the fruit. Avoid cutting the rind.
Use a large spoon to scoop out the watermelon pieces (like scooping out avocado). Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and freeze for about 1.5-2 hours. Save your watermelon halves!
You can freeze your own pineapple or use storebought frozen pineapple to keep things simple as well.
Once the fruit is frozen, place all the ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth and thick. If it’s too runny, add a few ice cubes and blend again as needed.
Carefully pour the frozen colada mixture into the watermelon halves. If you pour too much in, some may leak over the edges!
Garnish with two pineapple leaves, a few thinly sliced pieces of pineapple, and some chia seeds (to look like black watermelon seeds).
Pop in a straw and enjoy!
- Place dark rum into each straw for a little extra shot when you take the first sip
- Want to make these a virgin colada? Omit the light and dark rum and sub with a little more coconut milk instead.
- Have extra colada mix in your pitcher? Pop the pitcher into your freezer so you have enough for seconds.
- Want a darker red color? Add some frozen strawberries to the mixture as well to keep it darker in color.
Mini Watermelon Pina Colada
- 4 cups Watermelon Frozen
- 2 cups Pineapple Frozen
- 1/2 cup Full Fat Coconut Cream
- 2 tbsp. Honey
- 3 oz. Light Rum
- 1.5 oz. Dark Rum
- Slice your mini watermelon in half. Use a paring knife to slice around the inside edge of the watermelon. Then cut horizonal and vertical lines into the watermelon to create large chunks (like slicing an avocado).
- Use a large spoon and scoop out the chunks and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Freeze the watermelon for 1.5- 2 hours or until fully frozen.
- To a blender add your fruit, honey, coconut cream, and the rums. Blend until smooth and thick.
- If it's a little too thin for your liking, add some ice or a little more frozen fruit to thicken if needed.
- Pour into the watermelon halves and serve with a few pineapple slices and leaves and a sprinkle of chia seeds if desired.