Keto Sausage Bites:
Prior to the days of eating and cooking for my PCOS, puff pastry was one of my favorite ingredients to cook with. It can be sweet, it can be savory, and it can be packed with those delicious little buddies we call carbs. I recently recreated an amazing low carb, gluten free dough that mimics more of a pie crust but the pastry taste and feel is 100% there. Each week, I like to create a delicious food pairing to go with my summer blog series the Bon Appeteach “Book Club” (the kind of club where we don’t read the books we just make cocktails named after them). This week’s book feature inspired this recipe. Plus, who doesn’t love spicy mustard and sausage all wrapped up in buttery flaky dough? Everyone. Everyone loves it. So that why I made this recipe for Keto Sausage Bites. Now hop to and scroll with that lil finger of yours to the bottom for the full recipe and read on for all my great tips and tricks.
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper or Silpat Mat
- Rolling Pin
- Food Processor
- Pizza Cutter
- Pastry Brush
The dough comes together really fast in the food processor. If you don’t have one, I suggest using a pastry cutter to cut the butter in but this will take a little longer. Food processor for the win! Once the dough is made it needs to chill. After a few hours of chill time, I rolled the dough out about 1/4″ thick between two sheets of parchment paper. Cook the sausage either on the stove or on the grill.
Make sure to drain the grease if there is any. Allow the sausage to cool before wrapping. You can wrap individual bites, or wrap the whole sausage. I find it easier to wrap the bites so there is less work once cooked. Coat each one with egg wash to help with browning. Bake until crispy and lightly golden.
Serve with a whole grain or spicy mustard. If you like to have a little sweet with your savory, serve with maple syrup or a side of sugar free syrup too. These are a huge crowd pleasers for parties and get together’s (or to eat all by yourself with your favorite Bon Appeteach “Book Club” cocktail). No judgments.
Find the full recipe for Keto Sausage Bites below!
- 1 3/4 cups Almond Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 6 Tbsp. Cold Butter, diced into chunks
- 1 tsp. Xanthan gum
- 1 tbsp. Water
- 1 Egg
- 1 lb Italian Sausage (or your favorite sausage of choice)
1. In a food processor, combine the almond flour, salt, xanthan gum, and water together. Pulse a few times, then add the cold butter. Pulse until it looks like bread crumbs. Add in the beaten egg and pulse until the dough comes together into a ball.
2. Place in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45-60 minutes. You can also prepare this ahead of time and use the next day.
3. Cook the sausage (leave the links whole) on the stove in a cast iron or on the grill (I prefer to grill). Leave the sausages whole and allow them to cool to room temperature.
4. To make the sausage bites, preheat the oven to 375 F. Take the dough out of the fridge and place between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll out to be about 1/4" thick. I square the dough off with a pizza wheel to match the length of the sausage. Use the paper to help you wrap the dough around the sausage. Use the pizza wheel or a butter knife to cut the dough where the seams meet up. If the dough breaks or rips apart, it is ok. Use your fingers to help seal it back around the sausage. Once it is covered, place them in the freezer on your cookie sheet to get nice and cold, about 15-20 minutes.
5. Remove from the freezer and cut each sausage into 4 pieces. This recipe is idea for 6 larger Italian Sausages, if you use less you may have extra dough left over. Brush with egg wash and place on a parchment covered baking sheet. Sprinkle with poppy seeds and sesame seeds if desired.
6. Bake till golden brown, about 10-11 minutes. Serve with a side of spicy mustard.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 141 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 26mg Sodium: 263mg Carbohydrates: 3g Net Carbohydrates: 1g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g