This recipe was created in partnership with Sprouts Farmers Market. All opinions are my own.
“This easy grilled yellow summer squash recipe is a perfect, quick, weeknight recipe you can toss on the grill for family and friends. It comes together and packs a ton of flavor with crispy grilled bacon its, blue cheese, and sweet balsamic sauce over the top!”
Grilled Yellow Squash with Bacon, Blue Cheese and Balsamic:
Summer is right around the corner and my grill has been running non-stop lately! I’ve seen so much great summer produce hitting my local Sprouts Farmers Market , so I teamed up with them to bring you another great recipe to share with family and friends.
Not everyone is the biggest of veggie lovers, but I think it’s safe to say that people do enjoy them more when they’re cooked on the grill (also there is totally bacon and cheese involved so what’s not to love). I wanted to find a fun way to use one of my favorite in season summer veggies, yellow squash.
This squash recipe comes together in under twenty minutes, is a huge crowd pleaser, and will look great on your table at your next BBQ! Check out the full recipe below and get ready to fire up the grill!
- Knife & Cutting Board
- Baking Sheet/ Tray
In season veggies are always best, and using a higher quality produce, like the ones I purchased from Sprouts definitely makes a difference when I’m working with a simple side, like this recipe. As we get into the summer months, I like to also keep the kitchen cool by firing up the grill instead; making this recipe perfect any day of the week!
The squash grill up really quickly, so I prefer to get the bacon cooked off and completed prior to tossing my squash over the fire. If you opt to grill your bacon for this recipe (highly recommended too), you can use a cast iron skillet, griddle attachment, or a disposable foil pan. Just watch out for bacon grease as it can be flammable!
Once the bacon is done, simply prep your squash. I slice mine in half lengthwise. I find this makes it not only easier to cook, but is a good thickness for grilling (we don’t need the squash turning to mush). Lightly oil the cut side of the squash and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
On a preheated grill, place the squash cut side down over direct heat. A quick tip for getting those beautiful grill marks is to lightly press down on the squash to ensure good contact with the grates. Allow each side to cook for about 3 minutes then remove from the heat.
Finish this easy summer side off by layering the cut squash on a platter, add the cooked and crumbled bacon, top with blue cheese, fresh cut chives, and a good drizzle of a quality balsamic. Make sure to head over to your local Sprouts store and find all of these affordable ingredients for this recipe and get this dish on the dinner table tonight!
Looking for other great recipes using delicious Sprouts produce? Check out my Chipotle Chicken Cobb Salad too!
- 4 Medium Yellow Squashes, halved
- ½ cup Crumbled Blue Cheese
- 6 Slices Thick Cut Bacon
- ¼ cup Balsamic Vinegar (high quality is best)
- ¼ Chopped Chives
- Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper to taste
- Preheat your grill for medium heat.
- Use a cast iron skillet, griddle pan, or foil pan to cook the bacon on the grill until crispy. Remove from the heat and drain on a paper towel. Chop into pieces and set it aside.
- Halve the yellow squashes length wise. Brush a little olive oil, salt, and pepper over each half.
- Place over direct heat on the grill, pressing down slightly to get nice contact with the grill grates.
- Grill, cut side down for about 3 minutes then flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from the heat and place on a large plate or platter. Add the crumbled bacon, blue cheese, chives, and drizzle with a good quality balsamic and serve.