- March 9, 2023
- Main Dishes
Golden Milk Chia Pudding Recipe
This Golden Milk Chia Pudding Recipe is a creamy, dreamy chia pudding recipe that’s infused with the warm and aromatic flavors of turmeric, cinnamon, and ginger.
Why This Recipe Works:
Creamy & Comforting: This pudding uses the power of chia to make a healthy, gut healing snack with a perfectly creamy texture! The flavors of turmeric, cinnamon and ginger combine with the creamy coconut super well and the honey makes it slightly sweet! You can enjoy this chia pudding as a grab-and-go breakfast or a healthy snack!
Good-for-You Ingredients: Instead of a packaged pudding, you absolutely have to try chia pudding. When chia seeds are soaked in liquid, they increase in size and make the liquid a softer, more pudding like texture. Instead of sugar and preservatives, this pudding uses whole, good for you ingredients for a delicious and nutritious snack!
What Is Golden Milk?
Golden milk, otherwise known as turmeric milk, is a traditional Indian drink that mixes milk and turmeric, making it slightly golden and yellow in color. It is generally made with non-dairy milk like coconut milk and adds other aromatic flavors like cinnamon and ginger, along with black pepper. It is considered healthy for its’ anti-inflammatory properties.
You might be wondering why we add black pepper here. The black pepper actually activates a compound called curcumin, which is found in turmeric. With the help of the black pepper, curcumin will be more easily absorbed by the body, greatly increasing the turmeric’s power to improve gut digestion and decrease inflammation in the body! While turmeric will be good for you on it’s own, the addition of black pepper makes it even healthier for you.
- Glass Jars or other small containers
- Mixing Bowl
My golden milk chia pudding recipe uses whole, easy to find ingredients! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chia Seeds: Chia seeds are key to making this golden milk recipe into a pudding. The addition of chia seeds adds lots of texture, healthy fats, and fiber!
- Coconut Milk: I used canned coconut milk here. I like it since it is a bit thicker than the cartoned coconut milk. Before using the canned coconut milk, shake it up well since it it tends to separate in the can! You can also use a different non-dairy milk like almond or oat milk!
- Honey: Honey is added for a touch of sweetness! You can also use maple syrup or agave syrup, if you have that on hand.
- Spices: Cinnamon, Turmeric, Ginger and Black Pepper are added to perfectly season this pudding with warm, delicious flavors.
- Coconut Flakes: For garnish and a nice little crunch!
How To Make Golden Milk Chia Pudding:
- Mix the Milk, Honey & Spices: If using canned coconut milk, shake well before opening. Open and pour into a bowl. To the bowl, add the honey, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger and black pepper. Whisk or lightly blend to fully mix the honey and spices into the milk.
- Add the Chia Seeds: Next, add in the chia seeds and stir to combine. Do not blend once the chia seeds are added. Let the chia seeds sit for 10 minutes to absorb the liquid.
- Taste & Serve: Taste test and adjust sweetness if desired. Pour into individual glass jars or containers for serving. Serve immediately with coconut flakes for garnish, if desired.
- Add on your favorite toppings! I like the coconut flakes on these for some added texture, but you can also add sliced almonds or even fruits like blueberries or sliced banana!
- Don’t like coconut milk? No problem! You can use any non-dairy milk like oat or almond milk if you prefer.
- Like it spicy? This flavor profile can go well with a hint of spice, so if you like it spicy add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper to the mix!
- Or, prefer it more sweet? If you prefer it more sweet, add some additional honey along with a little bit of vanilla extract!
- Careful with the turmeric around clothes! Turmeric can easily stain clothes or towels, so be careful when handling the turmeric.
Frequently Asked Questions
Golden milk chia pudding takes a traditional Indian drink, golden milk, and makes it pudding by adding chia seeds to the liquid. Chia seeds soak up the liquid and leave a creamy, pudding like texture!
Store the chia pudding in sealed glass jars or air tight containers in the fridge for up to 7 days. These are great to make as meal prep and eat every morning on your way out of the house!
More Healthy Recipes to Try
- Bruléed Grapefruit
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Chia Pudding
- Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- Make Ahead Sausage Egg Cups
- Almond Flour Blueberry Muffins
Golden Milk Chia Pudding Recipe
- Glass Jars reccomended
- 1/2 cup Chia Seeds
- 2 cups Coconut Milk or other desired milk of choice
- 1/4 cup Honey if you prefer sweeter, add more
- 1 tbsp. Cinnamon
- 2 tsp. Turmeric
- 1 tsp. Ginger
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- Coconut Flakes optional garnish
- If using canned coconut milk, shake well before opening. Open and pour into a bowl.
- To the bowl, add the honey, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, and black pepper.
- Whisk or lightly blend to fully mix the honey and spices into the milk.
- Add in the chia seeds and stir again to combine. Do not blend once the seeds are added. Let the chia seeds sit for 10 minutes to absorb the liquid.
- Test taste and adjust sweetness if desired. Pour into individual glass jars or containers for serving.
- Serve immediately with an optional garnish of coconut flakes if desired.