An easy weeknight keto cauliflower rice dish, that tastes like Cajun comfort food at it’s finest!
Cajun Cauliflower Dirty Rice:
It’s no secret that I’m not the biggest fan of cauliflower, but this Cajun Cauliflower Dirty Rice takes me back to those carb filled nights on the streets of NOLA.
If cauliflower can make me feel that way, then you are guaranteed to love this easy dish too! I love how easy it comes together, and how it only takes a handful of good quality ingredients and few cooking tips to make this meal a knock out.
Make sure to read through for some tips and tricks on how to make this meal a huge hit.
- Cutting Board & Knife
- Large Frying Pan
- Baking Sheet
This recipe is a great meal for a busy night or if you’re looking for a solid meal prep option. The base of this recipe comes from the classic flavors of Cajun dirty rice and is made up of what many call the “Cajun mirepoix”.
A standard mirepoix is carrots, onion, and celery. The Cajun version is green peppers, onion, and celery (and unofficially garlic). Slice and dice your veggies and then set them aside.
If you are using already riced and frozen cauliflower (the easiest choice), try baking it. I have found baking the frozen rice in a 350 F oven for about 10 minutes gives you a chance to season it, avoid having a rather funky smelling kitchen, and allows the rice to defrost and not become a soggy mess.
To make your rice, cook the pork or sausage until no longer raw and nicely browned. Add in the veggies and some garlic and saute until tender. Then mix in the cauliflower rice right before serving.
I prefer to add shrimp to the top of my rice, but it tastes great as is! You could also add chicken or get real Cajun and some crayfish. I even enjoy the leftovers for breakfast the next day by adding a fried egg on top!
Full recipe for this perfect Cajun Cauliflower Dirty Rice is below! If you’re a comfort food lover like, check out this southern style inspired Keto Chorizo Biscuits & Gravy or my tasty Keto Chicken Fried Steak Nuggets too!
- 4 cups, Cauliflower Rice (I used frozen)
- 8 oz. Ground Pork Sausage (pork or breakfast sausage)
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, small diced
- 1 Green Pepper, small diced
- 1 Celery Stalk, small diced
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. Cajun Seasoning
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- Optional: 2 Cups Shrimp + 2 tbsp Butter
- Parsley to garnish
- 1. Preheat your oven to 350 F. Place the cauliflower onto a baking sheet and spread it out thinly. Bake for 10 minutes until the cauliflower has defrosted and is heated through. Set it aside.
- 2. Dice the onion, pepper, and celery. Mince the garlic. Add salt, pepper, oregano, and red pepper flakes if desired.
- 3. In a pan, cook the ground sausage completely. Drain any extra fat if desired. Add the vegetables and cook until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook an additional minute. Fold the cauliflower rice into the mixture and set aside.
- 4. If adding shrimp, heat a frying pan and add the butter. Toss the shrimp into the butter and saute until pink and cooked. Season with salt and pepper. Place the dirty rice in a bowl and top with your shrimp. Garnish with a bit of parsley and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 91 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 16mg Sodium: 165mg Carbohydrates: 6g Net Carbohydrates: 4g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g