Make delicious caramelized figs easily in your air fryer. This is a simple way to create a beautiful snack or appetizer using fresh figs at home.
When fresh fig season rolls around, I am running to the store to buy some. If you’ve yet to enjoy fresh figs, you’re missing out and need to try them.
Fig season hits around June- late August (if you’re lucky to still find them). I purchase green and purple figs from my local Trader Joe’s, but they are often at many local grocery stores.
While they are delicious as a snack all on their own, you can eat them on toast points and make a delicious crostini appetizer as well.
Below is a basic recipe for air fryer figs. Additionally, I will share how I created these stunning (and absolutely incredible) french toast crostini bites with bacon, creme fraiche, honey, and thyme.
Let’s dive in!
Why This Recipe Works:
Fresh figs are slightly sweet and soft in texture. Some describe them to be “honey-like” in taste as well. Because of the natural sugars in the fresh figs, they carmelize beautifully and taste delicious when air fried.
Fig pairs well with honey as a sweetener and when added to the light and fluffy base of some refreshing creme fraiche and fresh thyme it really pulls it all together.
Instead of using simple crostini (aka toasted baguette slices), I made French toast bites to tie it all together.
The flavors and textures really marry well here for a simple yet refined appetizer that will be stunning on a brunch table or with charcuterie too.
Utilizing an air fryer to make roasted figs is a quick way to get a delicious caramelization (though this could be made in a standard oven or even in a frying pan if preferred).
- Air Fryer (I love this Ninja Foodi Air Fryer Oven)
- Knife and Cutting Board
- Frying Pan
- Small Shallow Bowl
- Whisk or Fork
Welcome to my virtual classroom! Use the guided notes below where I often answer commonly asked questions I get from readers and cooks just like you.
This information is meant to help you have a stronger understanding of this recipe and the process so you can find success all on your own.
Ready to begin cooking? Simply jump to the recipe card below and begin.
If you simply plan on just air frying some figs you only need:
- Fresh Figs (purple or green)
- Sea Salt
To make the fig crostini bites (pictured) you will also need:
- Creme Fraiche
- Fresh Thyme
- Additional Honey
- Thick Cut Bread
- Preheat your air fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Slice the fresh figs in half so the fruit center is exposed.
- Place them cut side up into the air fryer basket (mine is basically a baking sheet and works well for air frying a lot at one time).
- Place the figs in the air fryer and cook for 5-6 minutes. Remove and drizzle with a little honey over the cut sides and return to cooking until the tops are caramelized.
- Remove from the air fryer and sprinkle with a little sea salt and additional honey if eating as is.
Air Fried Figs With Honey And Crème Fraiche:
- In a bowl combine the fresh thyme, creme fraiche, and honey to sweeten. Set it aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs and dredge both sides of your bread into the mixture.
- Preheat a pan with some butter over medium heat and cook the French toast a few minutes per side until it’s lightly golden brown and crispy on the outside, but slightly soft to the touch.
- Slice the bread into squares (about 2×2 inches). Add some of the creamy cheese mixture over each piece and then top with an air fryer roasted fig.
- Garnish with some crumbled bacon bits (sweet and salty combo here is delicious) and serve them warm or at room temperature.
Other Ways To Serve Fresh Figs:
Here are some other delicious flavor profiles you can use when cooking with fresh figs.
- Swap out goat cheese or soft blue cheese for the creme fraiche
- Use my air fryer pork belly recipe instead of bacon
- Make bacon wrapped figs in the air fryer and then place them on the toast
- Use a fig jam or rehydrated dry figs if you cannot find fresh figs to make the crostini
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar instead of honey
Air Fryer Figs Recipe
- 12 Fresh Figs halved
- 2 tbsp. Honey
For The Crostini
- 1/3 cup Creme Fraiche
- 1 tsp. Fresh Thyme
- 2 tbsp. Honey
- 4 slices Bread
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 2 slices Bacon cooked and crumbled
Air Fried Figs
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Slice each fig in half. Place the halves cut side up into the air fryer basket.
- Air fry the figs for 5-6 minutes. Drizzle over the 2 tbsp. of honey across the tops and continue to air fry an additional 5 minutes or until caramelized on top.
- Remove the figs and set them aside. Sprinkle with a little sea salt if desired.
Fig French Toast Crostini
- In a bowl, combine the crème fraiche, honey, and fresh thyme.
- In a shallow dish, beat the eggs and milk together and set aside. Dredge each slice and bread fully into the liquid.
- Preheat a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the to the pan and swirl it until melted.
- Add slices of bread to the pan and cook a few minutes per side until cooked and lightly golden brown on the outside.
- Cut the bred into bite sized squares. You should get 9 squares per slice of bread.
- To assemble, add a small dollop of the creme fraiche mixture to the top of each piece of French toast. Add an air fried fig over the top and garnish with crispy bacon bits. Repeat this step until all the fig crostini are preapred and serve.