If you’re looking to reduce the carbs from traditional potatoes, check out this simple oven roasted radish recipe for “smashed radishes”. It’s a delicious keto friendly take on classic smashed potatoes, topped with parmesan and rosemary!
Craving crispy garlic herb roasted potatoes, but want to find a lower carb and ketogenic diet friendly potato substitute? Then this is the perfect side dish recipe for you.
While there is nothing wrong with eating a traditional potato, you may be looking for a lower carb recipe to still get your fix.
That’s why I love this easy to follow side dish of smashed radishes, cooked until tender and topped with parmesan cheese and fresh rosemary.
If you’ve never had radishes before or only have ever enjoyed them raw, then you’re in for a treat. I’ll help you love roasted radishes and make you a believe in “fauxtato’s” in no time!
Follow the recipe for these easy cooked radishes below and read through this article for all the helpful cooking tips and tricks for making the perfect roasted and smashed radish recipe!
- Baking Sheet
- Knife and Cutting Board
- Cheese Grater
Use the guided notes below in this article to help you answer any commonly asked questions or jump to the recipe below and begin cooking.
What do radishes taste like?
Do you ever eat radishes? Raw radishes are peppery, a bit spicy, and have a great crunch too.
I often enjoy them sliced thin and use them for colder dips like guacamole or spinach and artichoke dip.
A roasted radishes taste similar to the raw form, but can be slightly more earthy.
As a girl who grew up on meat and potatoes, I can honestly say I love these a low carb option.
Are Radishes Keto Friendly?
Yes! Radishes are a keto friendly low carb vegetable that contain very little calories and a lot of fiber and other nutrients.
One serving size of roasted radishes (about 1/2 cup) is less than one net carb!
Additionally, red radishes are a great source of B vitamins, vitamin k, potassium, calcium and more!
The best way to eat radishes on a keto diet are to eat raw fresh radishes (like I mentioned above).
However, I prefer to approach a keto radish recipe by cooking them the same way I would a potato for the best results!
Here is what you will need to make this side dish-
- Red Radishes:
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper
How To Make Smashed Radishes:
- 1. Start by giving your radishes a quick rinse or scrub and assessing the size of the radishes.
- 2. Larger radishes need to be sliced in half typically to help create even baking as much as possible. Once they’re all prepped, toss them in a little olive oil and salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- 3. Preheat your oven to 425 F.
- 4. Place the radishes, cut side down on the pan and roast for 20-25 minutes.
- 5. Flip your radishes over and cook for an additional 20 minutes. They should be fork tender (like a potato) before smashing.
- 6. Use A fork to smash them down onto the baking sheet, pat them dry with paper towels to remove the moisture.
- 7. Add the parmesan and fresh herbs like rosemary and broil them until golden brown. Then server and enjoy!
Why aren’t your radishes browning?
Radishes naturally contain a lot of water. Water (or any moisture) prevents browning to occur.
While no water releases during the initial roasting process, smashing the cooked radishes does release quite a bit of liquid and can then essentially steam them at the end.
You do NOT want this!
So how do you prevent a watery pan of cooked radishes? Easy!
Here are a few tips I can provide to help you have a great end result (and crispy browned radishes):
- Browning works best if you preheat your oven and your pan at the same time.
- After your radishes are tender and you’ve smashed them with a fork, use a paper towel and pat them very dry.
- Wipe up excess liquid on the pan as well (or place all the newly smashed radishes on a clean baking sheet).
- Brush them with a little more olive oil or even butter to encourage browning.
- Broil them with the parmesan cheese coated over the top for a golden brown color and some crispy crunchy edges (from the cheese).
- Serve with a little more fresh rosemary for extra pop of flavor at the end!
Please let me know how this recipe turned out for you by leaving a comment or a recipe rating below.
Oven Roasted Keto Radishes- “Smashed” Radish Recipe
- 2 Bags 16 oz. Red Radishes
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- 2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 sprig of Fresh Rosemary minced
- 1/2 cup Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 F and place a baking sheet in the oven to preheat as well.
- Rinse the radishes to remove any excess dirt. Remove the ends and slice them in half. Radishes of similar size work best for even cooking.
- Place your radishes into a bowl and toss with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Pour them onto the preheat baking sheet, lay them all flat (cut side down).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Flip them over and bake another 20 minutes or so.
- Once they are tender (test with a fork), use the bottom of the fork and push down to "smash" each radish onto the pan.
- Smashing them will release some of the water in the radish. Be sure to pat the tops dry and remove any excess liquid off the baking sheet to encourage browning.
- Top with the parmesan and fresh rosemary and broil 5 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and serve!