Mediterranean chicken and veggies cooked in one skillet and packed with flavor. Paired with spaghetti squash as a low carb pasta style, one pan meal!
In my case however, this Mediterranean inspired spaghetti squash recipe helps reduce the carbs and keeps the comfort. I really enjoy experimenting with different flavors, different types of cuisines, and finding ways to keep out the refined carbs from my diet.
This is a very refreshing “pasta” inspired dish that makes you body healthy and your soul happy. That’s my kinda dinner…. Find the full recipe below and read on for helpful tips and tricks to making the perfect spaghetti squash!
- One Large Pan
- Knife & Cutting Board
- Liquid Measuring Cup & Strainer
Most of my dishes come from a whim of inspiration and of course, a food craving. This one was a mixture of planning and whimsical creativity (aka using up all the things left my fridge).
I knew I was craving some of those classic Mediterranean flavors like feta, oregano, Greek olives, and fresh tomatoes. I’ve also been dying to make Teri Turner’s (No Crumbs Left) marinated red onions and this dish gave me the perfect excuse!
Feel free to pick and choose what flavors and vegetables you want to play around with in this dish. The ones I mentioned above are definitely a must for me, but you could always add things like peppers, zucchini, or sun dried tomatoes. Have fun with what you have in your house and what fits your style and taste buds.
How to make a spaghetti squash in the microwave?
What I also loved about this meal was that it was all made in one dish (with exception to cooking the squash). I love my cast iron skillets. These pans are the most loyal kitchen tool if you treat them with love and kindness!
This dish involves a small amount of prep work, but comes together fairly quickly. The first thing to prep is the spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash is a lower carb way to enjoy dishes that originally may have called for pasta, like this Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai!
My favorite method for spaghetti squash preparation is to microwave it. It’s not fancy or chef approved more than likely, but frankly its the easiest and fastest way to prepare the squash for this dish!
I like to start by microwaving the squash whole for a few minutes just to soften it enough so you can safely get a sharp chef’s knife through it. Trust me, it helps!
Next, I place the cut halves side down into a pyrex dish with about and inch of water. Microwave the squash like this for 10 minutes and check to see if its tender, if not continue to cook 2-5 more minutes as needed.
Remove the squash and allow it to cool slightly, scrape the squash out with a spoon and place into a strainer and squeeze out the excess liquid prior to adding it to the pan with the rest of the food!
The rest of this rest of this recipe is just as easy! I saute the seasoned chicken first and then add in my desired vegetables. Once everything is cooked through add in the spaghetti squash and mix everything thoroughly.
Garnish the low carb “pasta” with feta, fresh oregano or parsley, and Greek olives too!
Looking for other Greek inspired healthy recipes? Check out:
- 1 large Spaghetti Squash
- 2 large, Chicken Breasts
- 1/3 cup, Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon, juice & zest
- 3 cloves, Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Oregano
- 1 tsp. Thyme
- 1 tsp. Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 Marinated Red Onions (see link in post for recipe)
- 1 cup, Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup, Greek Olives, halved
- 1 cup, Artichoke Hearts, diced
- 1 1/2 cups, Spinach or Arugula
- 1/2 cup, Feta
- Start by marinating your chicken. Place the chicken into a shallow container and add the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, oregano, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Begin by microwaving or roasting your spaghetti squash. If you roast the squash this will add additional cooking time to the meal. See the notes above in the post on how to microwave your squash.
- Heat a skillet to medium. Add the marinated chicken breasts once hot and cook. Brown both sides and let cook until no longer pink.
- Halve the tomatoes and olives. Dice the artichokes. Remove the chicken from the pan and allow it to rest. Toss in the tomatoes, olives, and artichokes. Allow them to cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes begin to soften. Add in the red
onions. Cook a few more minutes. Then add the chicken back to the pan.
- Scrape out the spaghetti squash and add to the pan. Fold and toss the squash into the veggies and chicken. Remove from heat. Add in the spinach. The heat from the food will help it wilt. Sprinkle the feta cheese over the top.At this point you can serve as is or I like to drizzle a little extra olive oil or the red onion marinade mixture over the top too.
Microwave the squash, halved side down in about and inch of water for 10-15 minutes for fast cooking!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 34mg Sodium: 368mg Carbohydrates: 15g Net Carbohydrates: 10g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 14g